Corrections to the blogosphere, the consensus, and the world

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Celebs

My faithful commentator has sent me this - the pledge video (I include the link even though broken because I'm really not doing enough linking for a respectable blog) for comment - I think I'm supposed to tut-tut at the lack of fit between the upbeat exhortations of the video and the general commitment of the viedeoees, otherwise, to mindless hedonism, but I have to say what really struck me is that I couldn't recognise a single one of the idols of today earnestly mouthing banalities. I couldn't decide at first viewing whether it was supposed to be celebrities doing it or whether it was just a vox pop out the front of the studio. And I wasn't much better off when looking up the names on Google. I'm not sure whether it's better or worse than not being able to remember any pop song since the seventies, but it's a reminder that I have totally lost the ability to follow any new trends and shouldn't presume to try.

They were American, of course, but I'm not at all sure I could do better on Australian youth idols. [Insert spittle-flecked rave about how much more talented/significant/seminal the celebrities of my day were than this present crop of jumped-up nobodies].

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My own reaction was that it was nauseating bordering on creepy, but there you go - chacun a son different strokes for different folks.

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Followers

Total Pageviews